QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
FOR YOUR KASTLE ACCESS CONTROL SYSTEM
+ Physical Security Systems
Building security systems are monitored and maintained by Kastle Systems. The Kastle Client Services Team can assist with all physical security needs, and can be reached at (703) 247-0412 or email@example.com.
The building security systems may include perimeter access control, elevator controls, visitor processing, CCTV, photo badging, parking entry, after hour’s telephones, and fire/life safety monitoring. The perimeter access control allows a person with an authorized Kastle credential such as access card or keyfob to gain entry into a building.
After normal business hours, the building perimeter doors are secured allowing only employees with an authorized Kastle access card or keyfob, and pre-authorized guests, to enter the building.
Designated telephones are located adjacent to perimeter card readers at building entrances to permit communication with the Kastle Central Monitoring Center. Authorized and unauthorized visitors use this telephone to request entry into a building elevator after normal business hours (see Visitor Access). Building employees can also gain access to the building using the entry telephone if they do not have their access card or keyfob; they must provide the number that is assigned to them on the back of their Kastle card or keyfob.
Perimeter access control systems activated on after normal building office hours and on weekends.
+ Elevator Systems
All building elevator security systems are activated after-hours and on weekends requiring employees to swipe their card or keyfob at the reader in the elevator lobby or in an elevator cab to gain access to their floor. In some cases, tenants will need to use their card or keyfob to gain access to their floor during business hours.
+ Visitor Access
When a tenant has visitors who are scheduled to arrive after-hours, please notify Kastle in advance through myKASTLE or by contacting the Kastle Client Services Team. Such prior authorization, called a Special Admit, enables Kastle to allow the visitor to enter the building without delay.
To request a special Admit, have the following information handy:
- Tenant Employee Name
- Building Address (destination of visitor)
- Tenant Employee Access Card or Fob Number
- Visitor’s Name Or His/Her Company Name
- Starting Date and Duration of the Visitor
- Floors Visitor Is Authorized to Visit
Instructions for Pre-Authorized Visitors upon Arrival
The visitor should use the Kastle telephone located at the building entrance to identify themselves, and their destination, to the Kastle Operator. The Kastle Operator will verify the pre-authorization and will unlock the door remotely.
The visitor can follow the same procedure once inside the elevator to gain access to the floor where they are visiting.
During regular business hours, if the entrance is controlled by an on-site security officer, the visitor should proceed to the security desk.
Instructions for Unexpected Visitors upon Arrival
After-hours, an unexpected visitor should use the Kastle telephone located at the building entrance and identify themselves and their destination to the Kastle Operator. The Operator will contact a tenant representative to authorize the request. Access will be granted only after authorization is obtained.
+ Online Card Administration (via myKastle)
Authorized tenant employees can use myKASTLE, an online access control web portal, to update card or keyfob privileges.
- CHANGE cardholder data or the areas the cardholder is authorized to enter.
- REVOKE a card, thereby rendering it inoperable with all readers.
- AUTHORIZE a new, previously unassigned card to an individual allowing the card to operate the authorized readers.
Please contact your Kastle Client Services Team for myKASTLE setup and training at firstname.lastname@example.org
Also, the Client Services Team is available during business hours to authorize, revoke or change any card.
Emergency requests to revoke lost or stolen cards can be made by contacting Kastle’s 24/7 Operations Center (703) 524-7911, or by an authorized tenant contact using myKastle.
Additional access cards and fobs may be ordered online through the myKASTLE store, www.kastle.com.
+ Activity Reports
The activity reports currently available through myKASTLE’s include:
- Alarm System Activations
- Alarm System Access/Secure
- Card Activity
- Prop Activations
Contact the Kastle Client Services Team for specific information not available in these reports.
+ Office Suite Intrusion and Tenant Control
As an option, the tenant may have a card reader and an integrated alarm intrusion system installed for their office suite. If a card reader system is already in place at the time a tenant moves into the building, the Property Manager will help the tenant get in touch with Kastle Systems to transfer the existing system. Once set up, the tenant will be responsible for all monthly operations and monitoring fees.
Access cards and keyfobs can be integrated into a tenant security intrusion system that detects unauthorized entry. When an alarm activates, a siren sounds at the tenant suite and a signal is transmitted to Kastle’s Operations Center.
Suites without a card reader system may have a specially designed "high security" key (Medeco switch key) issued to the tenant to use for arming and disarming the office suite.
+ What happens when…?
A Visitor Arrives at the Building Entrance During Security Hours?
- The visitor should use the hotline telephone located at the building entrance to request entry to the building.
- A Kastle Operator will answer the phone, and seek authorization for the visitor from the Special Admit List.
- If the visitor’s name is not on the list, the Operator will call the tenant contact for authorization.
- Upon authorization, the visitor will be promptly admitted (see Visitor Access).
A Cardholder Forgets His Card When the Building is Locked and Secured?
- The cardholder should use the hotline telephone located at the building entrance to request entry to the building.
- A Kastle Operator will answer the phone and request the access card or fob number.
- If the cardholder knows their card number, and the card has been authorized by Kastle, access will be granted. If the card number is not known, the operator will call the tenant contact to obtain authorization.
A Person Is Trapped in an Elevator?
- The person should use the phone located in the elevator cab to contact the Kastle Operator.
- The Kastle Operator will answer the phone and immediately notify the JBG SMITH Tenant Service Center. The Operator will also request that the trapped person stay on the phone until help arrives.
A Suite Security Alarm Activates?
- A siren will sound and a signal is transmitted to the Kastle Operations Center.
- The tenant should close any open doors and reset the system using the control device (reader, keypad or key switch). If the system is not reset, Kastle will contact the tenant contact to check for possible user error.
- If the alarm is not reset, the Kastle Operator will follow established alarm procedures will be followed.
A Tenant Loses a Card?
The tenant should immediately notify their staff who is authorized to use myKASTLE to revoke cards or notify the Kastle Client Services Team. The card must be revoked to prevent use by unauthorized persons.
Your Company’s Emergency Contact Changes or Moves?
Notify the Kastle Client Services Team immediately with the new contact information.
+ Who to contact?
Contacting Client Services (Business Hours): (703) 247-0412
Your dedicated Kastle Client Services Team is ready to handle all of your security needs. They can be reached weekdays 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. The team will also respond to all of your requests during business hours by e-mailing email@example.com.
Contacting Kastle After-hours: (703) 524-7911 or (703) 247-0412
Please have your card or fob number available so your call may be processed promptly.
Recommendations from Kastle Systems
- Maintain an adequate inventory of unassigned spare cards.
- Periodically reviewing authorization privileges for each employee. Simply select “Authorization Reports” in the Reports tab in myKASTLE or request a list of cardholders and privileges from your Kastle Client Services Team.
- Revoke lost or stolen cards immediately through myKastle or your Client Services Team.
- Ensure that cards and keyfobs are issued to all employees who require after-hours access.
- Generate an activity report promptly following any unusual occurrence.
- Provide your Kastle Client Services Team with as many details as possible about the incident.
- Review Contacts & Procedures in myKASTLE to verify accuracy.